If you seek a degree that enhances your communication skills and provides you with a broad range of knowledge, pursue a degree in liberal arts. Blue Ridge CTC’s Liberal Arts program features a balanced and flexible curriculum with coursework in communication and life skills, thinking and social awareness. A liberal arts degree positions you for success in a variety of fields and communicates to employers that you are a well-rounded hire capable of making informed decisions.
The Associate of Arts in Liberal Arts is ideal for students, who seek a broad-based education, plan to continue their education at four-year institutions, want to increase their opportunities for career advancement, and/or desire some flexibility in course selection to suit their specific needs and interests. The skills and competencies mastered in the liberal arts degree are applicable to a variety of careers. The Associate of Arts in Liberal Arts sets students on a path to gain the skills most valued by employers. According to a wide variety of sources - including the US Departments of Labor and Education, the American Association of Colleges and Universities, and major corporations - to be successful in the world of work, potential employees must be able to communicate clearly, work with others, think critically, and appreciate diversity. All these skills can be attained through the Liberal Arts degree’s coursework.
A.A. Liberal Arts Mission Statement:
The Associate of Arts in Liberal Arts is ideal for students who seek a broad–‐based education, plan to continue their education at four–‐year institutions, or want to increase their opportunities for career advancement. The skills and competencies mastered in the liberal arts degree are applicable to a variety of baccalaureate degrees and careers. The Associate of Arts in Liberal Arts sets students on a path to gain the skills most valued by both institutions of higher education and employers. To be successful in the university setting and in the world of work, students/employees must be able to communicate clearly, work with others, think critically, and appreciate diversity. All these skills can be gained through the balanced, flexible coursework included in the Associate of Arts in Liberal Arts Degree.
A.A. Liberal Arts Program Goals:
- Assist students in gaining a better understanding of themselves and their relationships with others.
- Encourage students to become and remain informed citizens.
- Inspire students to become lifelong learners to keep pace with today’s global economy.
- Support students in their efforts to understand and embrace diversity in an ever–‐changing, complex world.
- Provide the tools and experiences necessary to successfully transition into other educational institutions or into the workforce.
A.A. Liberal Arts Learner Outcomes:
- Students will demonstrate the interpersonal and evaluative skills necessary to effectively participate in a group and both provide and receive constructive feedback.
- Students will identify ways in which lifelong learning and aesthetic interests are important for living a balanced, enjoyable life.
- Students will exhibit the academic and social skills necessary for successful transition to other colleges/universities or into the workforce.
- Students will apply ethical principles in both written and oral communication.
- Students will demonstrate an understanding of both the historical and political issues that have shaped our culturally diverse country and the importance of their roles as informed and participatory citizens.
- Students will demonstrate insight into appreciation of the arts and their place in today’s society.
- Students will document an appreciation of the complex cultural texture of today’s world.
The breadth of skills mastered in the program will prepare you for success as you pursue a bachelor’s degree or seek employment in fields ranging from business to education.