The Associate of Applied Science in Business introduces students to foundational business theories and practices related to planning, communication, marketing, human relations, and management. This degree is geared toward the student who may not be pursuing a baccalaureate degree. Students are exposed to the legal and ethical considerations influencing business today and develop effective communication, critical thinking and technical skills needed in the workplace. The program allows students to focus on a specific concentration that best meets their personal and career goals while preparing for employment opportunities in finance, sales, human resources, marketing, or small business.
Graduates will be able to:
- Communicate in a professional manner through both online and in-person communication.
- Evaluate both professional conduct and corporate conduct for ethical issues.
- Apply classroom skills to the real world through experience in the field.
Finance & Analysis
- Define the terms bonds, equity, capital budgeting, default risk, IPO, liquidity, Time Value of Money, financial planning, and corporate finance.
- Analyze corporate financials for both strengths and weaknesses.
- Solve financial issues for corporations using real-world financial data.
Sales & Service
- Understand the sales process and consumer behaviors in the marketplace.
- Successfully construct a sales demonstration/pitch.
- Determine the best types of customer service necessary for various situations.
- Know specific information about HR topics such as compensation, training and development, recruitment, safety, grievance policy, and privacy.
- Construct HR policies for an organization.
- Outline HR issues in the 21st century.
- Describe the marketing process from start to finish.
- Determine web site layouts and designs for real businesses.
- Assess social media platforms and best marketing choices for an organization.
Small Business Development
- Build a business plan that is realistic.
- Construct a marketing plan for a small business.
- Determine the best sources of funding for a small business.
- Compile financials for a small business and evaluate their position.