Message from the President
Welcome to Blue Ridge Community and Technical College! This past academic year was one of the strangest in my career in higher education. As I write this introduction, the country is in about the fourth month of vaccinations for COVID and the pandemic has the appearance of being contained. There is no way to predict the future, but it does appear to be improving with regard to the virus. It is likely that some of the practices we have adopted as a result of our experience with COVID will continue for the near future. Blended learning, a combination of virtual, online, and remote learning along with live classes, will remain with us as learners.
In my introduction I usually talk about the importance of a good education. As I think about it, it is even more important now than ever. With a good education you can earn a living, raise a family, help those less fortunate, and have a better chance of leading the life you dream. As President of the College, I have the opportunity to see lives improved and students grow and prosper. Being able to do so is a very fulfilling feeling and I am most fortunate to be the President of an institution that changes lives for the better.
Blue Ridge continues to be a very busy place with a lot going on. Within the pages of our catalog, I think you will find an enormous amount of information that will guide you toward a good education and maybe, just maybe, you will find a field of interest that will provide a lifetime of enjoyment and a career that is gratifying and rewarding. Our College continues to deliver in our areas of strength including workforce preparation, transfer programs, and early college for a number of students. For example:
- We offer many opportunities for students to complete work at Blue Ridge Community and Technical College and transfer to a baccalaureate institution.
- We work very closely with regional business and industry to develop curricula that prepare our students for the world of work.
- High school students in Berkeley, Jefferson, and Morgan County Schools experience exciting programs that will prepare completers for a jump start on their college education.
- Our Culinary Academy continues to prepare healthy and affordable meals for purchase by our faculty, staff, and students. Good nutrition is a major part of maintaining a healthy, productive life and our Bruins are there to help with that goal.
- With the passage of Senate Bill 1, students can now qualify for study in selected degree programs at a greatly reduced cost to the student.
At Blue Ridge, students are our reason for being. Our students are the factor in making our College a success. Without our students, we simply would have no reason for being. We have a fantastic group of faculty and staff who are here to help you succeed in achieving your goals, whether that is to prepare for a career or to transfer to a four-year degree program. The services and education we offer are many and varied and it can be overwhelming at times for the new or even experienced student. Rest assured our faculty and staff can help you in your quest to achieve your goals. We are here to help, and we are glad you have chosen Blue Ridge Community and Technical College.
Welcome to The Ridge!
Dr. Peter G. Checkovich