The Associate of Science in Education addresses introductory topics related to teaching and learning and prepares students for transfer to an upper-division program leading to professional licensure or certification. Students will complete general education courses to target communication skills, critical thinking and problem solving skills, and to sharpen social awareness. Students will also gain foundational knowledge about the education system and teaching as a profession in preparation for admittance to a pre-licensure program. Students select from the following specializations: Social Studies (5-Adult), General Science (5-Adult), Biology (9-Adult), Mathematics (5-Adult), English (5-Adult), or Elementary (K-6).
Admission Requirements to the Associate of Science (AS) Education Program
- Overall GPA of 2.00.
- Be eligible to enroll in MATH 101 and ENGL 101 and be exempt or have completed ENGL 100R.
- Be a degree seeking student in the General Studies, Education concentration degree.
Education Program Application
- Deadline for program application is December 1 and May 1 for following semester acceptance.
Graduation Requirements from the Associate of Science (AS) Education Program
- Overall Cumulative GPA of 2.75.
- Passing scores on the Praxis Core Exams: Reading 156, Writing 162, and Math 150.
- A satisfactory portfolio.
- A "C" or better in all required courses.