To enter a career in the foodservice and hospitality industry, consider a degree in Catering & Hospitality Management. Students learn classical cooking and baking techniques within a wide variety of cuisines. This program provides foundations in nutrition, safety and sanitation, origins of food, hospitality and restaurant management, marketing, and more.
Students will be exposed to classical culinary and baking techniques. In addition to these foundational courses, students will learn safety and sanitation, food purchasing and costing, catering management, and basic business processes. Practical lab experiences, including the operation of a fully equipped food truck, will help to complete the student's education. Students will experience the flow of their product from creation to service in this degree program through our Bruin Café lab, Food Truck lab and other service opportunities.
- Demonstrate an organized and sanitary workstation.
- Demonstrate accurate measuring and portioning.
- Follow standardized recipes and production procedures.
- Identify and describe procedures and techniques for controlling food costs.
- Demonstrate customer service skills.
- Practice team building and communication.
- Demonstrate professionalism (clean and complete uniform, on time, good attitude, respectful).
- Demonstrate leadership in both the front and back of the house operations.
- Construct a business plan for a small food service operation.
- Demonstrate critical thinking skills.
If you choose a degree in Catering & Hospitality Management, you will be prepared for entry to mid-level positions within the industry. You can seek positions within foodservice, hospitality, and tourism.