This two-year program prepares students to enter the workforce directly in technician, paraprofessional, and future accounting supervisory positions. The program includes accounting and business skills as well as college transfer and supporting courses.
Accounting technicians and paraprofessionals are the financial record keepers of a business and examine, analyze and interpret accounting data for the purpose of sharing financial data and reporting financial performance. Duties may include recording financial activity and preparing internal and external financial reports. Responsibilities include updating and maintaining accounting records, processing expenditures, receipts, payables, receivables, and payroll. They may also analyze, verify, prepare and communicate financial information. Excellent reading skills and a combination of interest and ability to concentrate on detail, an analytical mind, good judgment, and absolute integrity are necessary for success in the field of accounting.
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of fundamental accounting and business knowledge.
- Apply critical thinking skills by using accounting models to solve accounting problems.
- Analyze various accounting transactions for the purpose of recording and reporting the effects on business operations.
- Exhibit competency in using business and accounting information technology.
- Evaluate both professional conduct and corporate conduct for ethical issues
- Express the appropriate verbal, non-verbal, professional, and technological communication skills.
There is a wide range of employment possibilities for accounting paraprofessionals. Job titles may include accounting clerk, auditing clerk, financial analyst, bookkeeper, bank teller, budget analyst, payroll clerk, accounting assistant, loan clerk, tax preparer, and account representative. Typical places of employment include accounting departments in governmental agencies, financial institutions, not for profit, private business and public accounting firms.
Salary Ranges: $25,000 - $40,000
Note: All salary estimations are based on the current position and educational trends. Blue Ridge and The School of Professional Studies and University Transfer cannot guarantee that the projections given will be the salaries students or graduates will ultimately receive.