This degree program provides you with the skills and confidence to be a manager in the foodservice industry with special emphasis on culinary foundations, business, and human relations.
Blue Ridge Community and Technical College Culinary Academy's Programs are designed to provide students with the practical knowledge and skills necessary for employment in an entry to a mid-level position within the foodservice and hospitality and tourism industry through a certificate or degree program.
Students will learn classical cooking and baking techniques, which include a wide variety of regional cuisines, along with courses that build on immersing the student into all aspects of culinary foundations such as nutrition, safety and sanitation, origins of food, food history, food costing, product efficiency, sense of urgency, attention to detail and culinary artistry. Practical lab experiences will help to complete the well-rounded student for entry into the workforce. Students will be able to experience the flow of their product from creation to service in this degree program through our Bruin Café lab.
Food Service Retail Management students will assist in the maintenance of a functional retail operation and become exposed to front and back of the house leadership activities, critical thinking, customer service, and human relations management through an in-house Bruin Cafe internship.
- Demonstrate an organized and sanitary workstation.
- Demonstrate accurate measuring and portioning.
- Follow standardized recipes and production procedures.
- Identify and describe procedures and techniques for controlling food costs.
- Demonstrate customer service skills.
- Practice team building and communication.
- Demonstrate professionalism (clean and complete uniform, on time, good attitude, respectful).
- Demonstrate leadership in both the front and back of the house operations.
- Construct a small business plan for a foodservice operation.
- Demonstrate critical thinking skills.
If you choose a degree in Food Service Retail Management, you will be prepared for entry to mid-level positions within the industry. You can seek positions within foodservice, hospitality, and tourism.