The Engineering Technology program is an interdisciplinary hands-on engineering technology program that incorporates elements of electrical engineering technology and mechanical engineering technology. This program was designed for the student who wants the skills to work in the design and automation industries. The program also provides students the option to pursue a bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering technology, electrical engineering technology, or engineering management.
Graduates of the Engineering Technology Degree may begin their careers as electrical engineering technicians, mechanical engineering technicians, controls technicians, manufacturing engineering technicians, maintenance management, designers, and machinists. Students who pursue this degree should gain the knowledge needed to sit for certifications in CAD and machining.
Students will gain an understanding of the technology utilized in modern manufacturing and engineering firms. Hands-on innovative laboratories, in areas such as electricity and electronics, the strength of materials, fluid power, industrial controls, CNC machining, and CAD will prepare students for the job. Internships may be available.
- Demonstrate professionalism (on time, positive attitude, respectful).
- Identify safety equipment.
- Practice team building and effective communication.
- Understand technology utilized in modern distribution and processing industries.
- Identify tools and equipment.
- Write industrial PLCs (Programmable Logic Controls).
- Understand the fundamentals of Quality Control.
- Demonstrate how to properly set up, program, operate, maintain and troubleshoot a scaled manufacturing system.
- Understand advanced concepts and applications of fluid power technology including hydraulics and pneumatics.
- Demonstrate proper application and connection of electrical motors, transformers, and solenoids.
Engineering technicians can specialize in the design, control systems, materials, process control, instrumentation, automotive systems, robotics, machining, and processes used in the refrigeration and air conditioning fields. The average annual salary for graduates in this field is $54,480 to $62,330 with the top ten percent earning over $84,000.