To enter a career in the foodservice and hospitality industry, consider a degree in Culinary Arts. Students learn classical cooking and baking techniques within a wide variety of cuisines. This program provides foundations in nutrition, safety and sanitation, origins of food, and more.
Blue Ridge Community and Technical College Culinary Academy’s Programs are designed to provide students with the practical knowledge and skills necessary to prepare for employment in an entry to a mid-level position within the foodservice, hospitality and tourism industry through a certificate or degree program.
Students will learn classical cooking and baking techniques, which include a wide variety of regional cuisines, along with courses that build on immersing the student into all aspects of culinary foundations such as nutrition, safety and sanitation, origins of food, food history, food costing, product efficiency, sense of urgency, attention to detail and culinary artistry. Practical lab experiences will help to complete the well-rounded student for entry into the workforce. Students will be able to experience the flow of their product from creation to service in this degree program through our Bruin Café lab and other service opportunities.
- Demonstrate an organized and sanitary workstation.
- Demonstrate accurate measuring and portioning.
- Identify and describe procedures and techniques for controlling food costs.
- Demonstrate accurately sized knife cuts.
- Demonstrate how to safely handle and operate knives and kitchen equipment.
- Practice team building and communication.
- Identify ingredients.
- Follow standardized recipes and production procedures.
- Identify and execute cooking methods.
- Demonstrate professionalism (clean and complete uniform, on time, good attitude, respectful).
If you choose a degree in Culinary Arts, you will be prepared for entry to mid-level positions within the industry. You can seek positions within foodservice, hospitality, and tourism.