Blue Ridge Community and Technical College can help you ascend to a career in design. As the only collegiate CAD/BIM program in the Eastern Panhandle, we help you understand principles of design and apply them to government and industry standards. Throughout the program, our expert instructors train you in the techniques and cutting-edge technologies embraced by the industry today.
The CAD/BIM program is a 30-hour training program in which students will use computer systems in the creation, modification, analysis or optimization of a design. Computer-Aided Design is the process of creating a technical drawing with the use of computer software. CAD software is used to increase the productivity of the designer, improve the quality of design, improve communications through documentation, and to create a database for manufacturing. Building Information Modeling is the creation of documents necessary for the design and construction of residential and commercial buildings, and all the systems within those buildings. Students will utilize state-of-the-art industry-recognized software. 3D modeling is emphasized, and equipment such as 3D printers, CNC machinery, laser engravers, and plasma cutters are included in the program to develop the link between design and production.
This certificate program is designed to be diverse, preparing students to enter a variety of CAD and CAD-related fields. Students trained in CAD/BIM may find jobs in architecture, mechanical design, surveying, civil design or geographic information systems.
- Demonstrate professionalism (on time, positive attitude, respectful).
- Practice teambuilding and effective communication.
- Identify tools and equipment used in Civil CAD and surveying.
- Understand drawings and graphics used in CAD and engineering projects.
- Develop a basic understanding of Civil CAD and Surveying.
- Develop an understanding of GIS.
- Demonstrate the safe operation of 3D modeling equipment.
- Develop parametric design solutions using 3D modeling software.
- Develop residential and commercial building models using 3D modeling software.
The knowledge and skills gained may help you secure entry-level employment on a design and construction team.