This economical, practical certificate program prepares you with the skills to enter the foodservice industry as an entry-level manager within the foodservice, hospitality, and tourism industry through a certificate program.
Students will learn classical cooking techniques, which include a wide variety of regional cuisines, along with courses that build on immersing the student into all aspects of culinary foundations such as safety and sanitation, food costing, product efficiency, sense of urgency, purchasing and inventory, human relations, attention to detail and culinary artistry. Practical lab experiences will help to complete the well-rounded student for entry into the workforce. Students will be able to experience the flow of their product from creation to service in this degree program through our Bruin Café lab and other service opportunities.
- Demonstrate an organized and sanitary workstation.
- Demonstrate accurate measuring and portioning.
- Follow standardized recipes and production procedures.
- Identify and describe procedures and techniques for controlling food costs.
- Demonstrate customer service skills.
- Practice team building and communication.
- Demonstrate professionalism (clean and complete uniform, on time, good attitude, respectful).
- Demonstrate leadership in both the front and back of the house operations.
- Construct a small business plan for a foodservice operation.
- Demonstrate critical thinking skills.
If you choose a certificate in Food Service Retail Management, you will be prepared for entry to mid-level positions within the industry. You can seek positions within foodservice, hospitality, and tourism.