This economical, practical certificate program prepares you with the skills necessary to enter the foodservice industry as an entry to a mid-level position within the foodservice, hospitality and tourism industry through a certificate program.
Students will learn baking fundamentals, which include a wide variety of baking techniques. This along with courses that build on immersing the student in all aspects of culinary foundations such as safety and sanitation, origins of food, food history, food costing, product efficiency, sense of urgency, attention to detail and culinary artistry. Practical lab experiences will help to complete the well-rounded student for entry into the workforce. Students will be able to experience the flow of their product from creation to service in this degree program through our Bruin Café lab and other service opportunities.
To be eligible to earn a Blue Ridge Community and Technical College Certificate the student must be a current degree-seeking student or complete the application and admissions process to the College. Eligibility to earn and receive a Blue Ridge Community and Technical College Certificate does not interfere with the degree-seeking status of the student.
- Demonstrate an organized and sanitary workstation.
- Demonstrate accurate measuring and portioning.
- Identify and describe procedures and techniques for controlling food costs.
- Demonstrate accurately sized knife cuts.
- Demonstrate how to safely handle and operate knives and kitchen equipment.
- Practice team building and communication.
- Identify baking specific ingredients.
- Follow standardized recipes and production procedures.
- Identify and execute baking methods.
- Demonstrate professionalism (clean and complete uniform, on time, good attitude, respectful).
If you choose a certificate in Baking and Pastry, you will be prepared for entry to mid-level positions within the industry. You can seek positions within foodservice, hospitality, and tourism.