Blue Ridge Community and Technical College Culinary Academy's Programs are designed to provide students with the practical knowledge and skills necessary to prepare for successful employment in an entry to a mid-level position within the foodservice and hospitality and tourism industry through a certificate or degree program.
Students will be exposed to classical culinary techniques, baking fundamentals, and catering management. In addition to these foundational courses, students will learn safety and sanitation, food purchasing and costing, culinary nutrition, and basic business processes. Practical lab experiences, including the operation of a fully equipped food truck, will help to complete the student's education. Students will experience the flow of their product from creation to service in this degree program.
Students in the Culinary Art Programs are subject to the Community and Technical College's requirements for admissions, basic skills testing, and appropriate course placement, including developmental education courses, which may not count toward completion of the program. Blue Ridge Community and Technical College Catalog requirements regarding academic standards, student conduct, and graduation procedures also apply.
- Demonstrate an organized and sanitary workstation.
- Demonstrate accurate measuring and portioning.
- Follow standardized recipes and production procedures.
- Identify and describe procedures and techniques for controlling food costs.
- Demonstrate customer service skills.
- Practice team building and communication.
- Demonstrate professionalism (clean and complete uniform, on time, good attitude, respectful).
- Demonstrate leadership in both front and back of the house operations.
- Construct a small business plan for a food service operation.
- Demonstrate critical thinking skills.
Students choosing a degree in Catering and Hospitality Management will be prepared for entry to mid-level positions within the industry. Students will graduate with the knowledge to seek a variety of positions within food service, catering, hospitality, and tourism.