The Early Childhood Specialist Certificate Program prepares individuals to work with children from infancy through age eight in diverse learning environments. Students will combine learned theories with practice in actual settings working with young children under the supervision of qualified teachers. Coursework includes child growth and development; physical/ nutritional needs of children; care and guidance of children; and communication skills with parents and children. Students will foster the cognitive/language, physical/motor, social/emotional, and creative development of young children. The courses in this program are not intended for transfer to a Bachelor's Degree in Early Childhood Education.
Throughout the program, there is a considerable emphasis placed on developing professional interaction styles consistent with fostering positive staff relationships, communication, and collaboration with parents, knowledge of community resources, and multicultural awareness of the diverse populations with whom the student will work.
- Complete WV State qualifications to be employed in a childcare center for ages birth to 8 years of age or other employment opportunities in preschools, family childcare, and other related programs.
- Qualify for employment in a preschool under the supervision of a qualified early childhood teacher.
- Communicate in an early childcare setting professionally and effectively with parents, staff members, and community resources.
- Complete state requirements for the WV Department of Education to function in a public school setting as a teacher's aide (permanent authorization per county).
- Operate effectively in diverse childcare and learning environments.
Employment opportunities include preschools, childcare centers, family childcare, and/or other programs for young children. Because you do not have to follow a set course sequence, you can choose classes that best fit your schedule and specific interests.
The following ECED courses are verified to meet community program requirements for permanent authorization by the West Virginia Department of Education: