The Culinary Academy's Programs are designed to provide students with the practical knowledge and skills necessary to prepare for successful employment in an entry to a mid-level position within the foodservice and hospitality and tourism industry through a certificate or degree program.
Students will learn classical culinary techniques which include a wide variety of regional cuisines, baking fundamentals from scaling ingredients to designing and constructing elaborate centerpieces, along with courses that build on immersing the student into all aspects of culinary foundations such as nutrition, safety, and sanitation, origins of food, food history, food cost, product efficiency, molecular gastronomy, speed, attention to detail and culinary artistry. Practical lab experiences will help to complete the well-rounded student for entry into the workforce. Students will be able to experience the flow of their product from creation to service in this certificate program.
Students in the Culinary Art Programs are subject to the Blue Ridge Community and Technical College's requirements for admissions, basic skills testing, and appropriate course placement, including developmental education courses, which may not count toward completion of the program. Blue Ridge Community and Technical College Catalog requirements regarding academic standards, student conduct, and graduation procedures also apply.
- Demonstrate an organized and sanitary workstation.
- Demonstrate accurate measuring and portioning.
- Identify and describe procedures and techniques for controlling food costs.
- Demonstrate accurately sized knife cuts.
- Demonstrate how to safely handle and operate knives and kitchen equipment.
- Practice team building and communication.
- Identify ingredients.
- Follow standardized recipes and production procedures.
- Identify and execute cooking methods.
- Demonstrate professionalism (clean and complete uniform, on time, good attitude, respectful).