Our degree program is geared toward students seeking a challenging and exciting career as a high-tech problem-solver. Over the course of the program, you will learn to apply concepts in mathematics, science, and engineering to install, program, control, and maintain automated equipment commonly used in manufacturing, distribution, and processing.
The Mechatronics program supplies local industries with maintenance technicians who can install, service, repair and maintain a variety of industrial automation equipment. The first year of the program prepares the student to be a certified machine operator. After completing the first year and taking the Siemens certification exam, the student will be ready to enter the employment market and gain valuable on-the-job experience. This will give the student a chance to apply their new skill set and obtain greater insight into industry practices.
Students will gain an understanding of the technology utilized in modern distribution and processing industries. Hands-on laboratories, in areas such as electricity and electronics, mechanics, fluid power, motor controls, and quality controls will prepare students for the job on day one. Computer-Aided Design and Networking are included. Internships are available.
- Demonstrate professionalism (on time, positive attitude, respectful).
- Identify safety equipment.
- Practice teambuilding and effective communication.
- Understand the technology utilized in modern distribution and processing industries.
- Identify tools and equipment.
- Write industrial PLCs (Programmable Logic Controls).
- Understand the fundamentals of Quality Control.
- Demonstrate how to properly set up, program, operate, maintain and troubleshoot a scaled manufacturing system.
- Understand advanced concepts and applications of fluid power technology including hydraulics and pneumatics.
- Demonstrate proper application and connection of electrical motors, transformers, and solenoids.
Mechatronic specialists often find rewarding careers in the automotive, aerospace, medical device, and heavy equipment industries. Local employment opportunities abound within this field at companies such as: EcoLab, Essroc, Quad Graphics, Macy's Distribution, Fed-Ex, U.S. Silica, Ply Gem, Monoflo, O'Sullivan, Cenetic Landis, Automated Merchandising Systems, New World Pasta, and other firms in West Virginia, Maryland, Northern Virginia, and Southern Pennsylvania.